Saturday 7 May 2011

Church Diary

Tuesday, May 3rd

I got to the church today! And I love it!

Nha Tho Duc Ba is one of the most famous churches in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. It’s located in district one. It was covered with red bricks and black pointy gates outside, along with the triangular roof. It was as massive as three normal houses combined.

As I entered the building, there were symbols on the front doors, written in another language I could not read. Inside, there were small worship places for Maria and the twelve disciples. At the front deep inside of the huge room was a statue of Jesus pined to a cross. Two rows of benches were set along the side of the room with people sitting there, worshiping their God. Visitors could only take pictures and look at the sites, but if they do not intend to pray, they could not go deep inside unless they are Christians.

In my opinion, I thought that people who came here had to wear Christian clothing, but instead, they only wore normal clothes and sat down the bench, praying to God. To keep the church holy, visitors and prayers lowered their voices, and therefore the inside of the building was very cold and quiet. It kept the aura of a religious site although there was no smell present.

I regretted going on a Tuesday. On weekends, the leader of the church will be there and there will be lots of people coming in and worshiping. They might even have the smell of candles.

After going to the church, I went to a library near it. There were many books, pictures, toys, and statues about Christians. There were more people there than I expected it to be. I took a lot of pictures and videoed a lot of movies.

Anyway, the day was fun at church after all.

Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment